We want to make sure that everyone has a chance to hear this conversation and journey together as we walk our students through this very important topic in February.
You can find a link to our conversation here.
Below are questions for you to use as you engage with your teenager this month. Also included are a list of resources to help equip you to navigate these waters.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to Jonathon Welch (JWelch@StAndrews.Church or 843.284.4382).
Questions for Parents to Ask Your Teenager After the First 2 Weeks of “Sex. Love. God.” or “Dating. Love. God.”
- As you listened to Jonathon’s talks, what stood out to you? Did you find it weird that sex was a part of this conversation?
- What was the most challenging thing you heard? What was something you disagreed with?
- Do you understand what our values (as your parents) are for you when it comes to sex? (If no, then communicate these to your son/daughter. If yes, ask them to reiterate those back to you.)
Questions for Parents to Ask Teens (after “Sex. Love. God. or “Dating. Love. God.”)
- Where has the church been helpful in your understanding of sex? Where do you wish it could be more helpful?
- How has the series at SAYM impacted your thinking surrounding sex?
- What is one take away that you were surprised by in the conversation’s?
Activity to Prompt Conversation
Find out what TV shows your teenager loves to watch. Ask if you can watch them together and then after the show is over, ask if you can talk about what you observed. Find ways to engage in the content, good and bad, and use this as an opportunity to share your values and beliefs without criticizing your teenager or their show. Simply use it an exercise to learn more about their world and share how your values may be the same or different from what you saw or heard.
(Links to Amazon.com).
(Sites used to track online activity.)