Don’t just take our word for it . . . take His! We would encourage you to spend time examining the following Scriptures that shaped this sermon: Psalm 42; John 4.5-14
In my early/mid 30’s I began the process of a D.Min. My area of interest was the role of longing and desiring in the life of the Christian. A few years into the process life got in the way. We had four kids. I was called to be the rector of St. Andrew’s. I attempted to continue my studies on and off after our move to St. Andrew’s. I’d enrolled in a different D.Min. program to buy additional time. Sadly, though, they went on the shelf. All too quickly the years passed. I’d forgotten about the D.Min. I was attending a Transforming Center retreat in January 2018 and the topic was on desire. I remembered my thesis. Over the years my desire for academic initials after my name faded. But my desire remained. The Lord had brought me full circle. Arriving home I pulled out my old notes and in them I found several pages of quotes I’d written down on Psalm 42. I’m grateful for them. I’m grateful as well for the Transforming Center for its role in reawakening my desire for God. Below you’ll find a bibliography of materials that helped shaped this sermon, and me. – SDW
- A universal thirst for God
- The disappointing pursuit of refreshment
- The source of true refreshment
- How honest are you with God about your desires?
- What does it mean to say that God is the desire beneath all other desires?
- Why are we satisfied (temporarily) with things other than God?
- What do you run after?
- Is your love for God fresh, or has it grown stagnant?
- Is there a consistent presence of the Spirit at work in your life?
- Is there an underlying feeling of envy, or discontent, or resentment, apathy, or anger?
- What struck you in the sermon today?
The outline and application questions are intended for your further reflection and action upon the weekend message. They are also designed to facilitate discussion and accountability within your LifeGroup.
Resources Quoted or Referenced
M. Robert Mulholland, Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation
Bradley Holt, Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality
Evelyn Underhill, Concerning the Inner Life
Emilie Griffin, Wildnerness Time
Do you have a question about today’s sermon? Email Steve Wood (SWood@StAndrews.Church).