We welcomed Joanne Ellison as our guest speaker this morning. Joanne is a long-time member of St. Andrew’s serving in many areas of leadership over the years. Joanne is also the founder of Drawing Near to God Ministry.
We have a high view of Scripture. We believe that Scripture contains all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is to be required of anyone, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation. We would encourage you to spend time examining the following Scripture that shaped this sermon: Philippians 3.1-16
The Apostle Paul exhorts Christians to press on in their journey with Christ (Philippians 3:1-16). Although the upward call of God in Christ Jesus most likely refers to that point when physical death comes and your spirit is called upward into full fellowship with Christ, until that time, we are called to continue pressing on in spiritual growth. Sometimes, though, we become stuck in our spiritual progress and seem unable to press on. Scripture reminds us that in these times we must:
- Wake up/stir up (Ephesians 5:14)
- Rise up in the power of the Holy Spirit (Ezra 10:4; Isaiah 60:1; Hebrews 12:1)
- Grow up in Christ (Ephesians 4:18)
- Are you stuck in your spiritual journey?
- Are you in a season of high stress, overwhelming circumstances or feeling flat-lined?
- Can you identify the obstacles that cause you to stay in the same place?
- Are you willing to ask the Holy Spirit to stir you up and empower you to rise up and change your course?
- Have you identified spiritual mentors to aid you in getting unstuck and pressing on in your call?